"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Friday, April 16, 2010

Boston 2010 - Part I - Ed Walsh

TEAM 413 is at the Boston Marathon Expo for the first time since 2004. So, I thought it fitting to write about some people who have made a difference in my life that somehow relate to Boston. This weekend I'll be sharing stories of God's grace and provision that have a "tie" to the Boston Marathon.
I first met my friend, Ed Walsh, at the 2004 running of the Boston Marathon. He came by our expo booth and I remember chatting with him about our very small ministry and how great it was to be a part of one of the greatest running events in the world. Ed purchased a TEAM 413 shirt that day. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" was printed on the back of that shirt. Six years later the verse remains on the back of all of our shirts. The font has not changed. The size of the verse has not changed. The back of those shirts are identifiable all over the world as TEAM 413.
Ed wore his shirt on that Boston race day and later told me about his journey. I'm going from complete memory but, basically he strained his calf early in the race. Another runner who wore one of our shirts stopped and prayed for him --- it may have been more than one person who prayed for Ed that day --- but, still, a brother in Christ identified him, made an effort to stop, and prayed for Ed to finish the race. He finished his Boston Marathon and he believes that God wanted him to finish in that way and run the race that he did so only God would get the glory.
That's the way Ed and I met. However, our friendship over the miles continues today. Ed lives in California and I live in Alabama. We see each other rarely but, he supports TEAM 413 to this day and over the miles. Ed is a great runner - a "marathon maniac" - a wonderful man of God. Ed has supported TEAM 413 through financial gifts, through prayer, through words of encouragement, as a Facebook friend, and now as a TEAM 413 Ambassador. He's been a constant figure in my life as I've led TEAM 413. He has been an inspiration to me in more ways that he will ever know!
Do you need someone to push you a little harder? Do you need a role model in your walk with Christ? Do you need some encouragement along your life's journey? If so, I know a guy who can teach you much! His name is Ed Walsh. I consider it an honor to call him my friend and brother in Christ. He is one of the many blessings in my life.
Keep running and sharing the story of Jesus with everyone you meet, Ed! See you down the road!
Under HIS Grace...
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment